World Oral Health Day is a global awareness campaign relating to oral health promotion. It is important for the public to be reminded of the simple message behind “healthy mouth, healthy body”. The mouth is a mirror to the body, which can often reveal signs of other underlying systemic diseases. Don’t forget, the best way to maintain health is through prevention! Below are some easy preventative oral health tips!
Protect your mouth and body from early in life by:
- Eating a healthy diet low in sugar, high in fruits and vegetables
- Avoiding tobacco use
- Avoiding excessive alcohol consumption adopting good oral hygiene habits:
- Brush your teeth for two minutes, twice a day, using either a manual or electric toothbrush and a fluoride toothpaste
- Don’t rinse with water straight after brushing, spit out any excess toothpaste instead
- Rinse with a fluoride mouthwash or chew sugar-free gum after meals and snacks when brushing isn’t possible
- Clean between your teeth using floss or other interdental cleaners for additional benefits
- Wearing a mouthguard when engaging in contact sports
- Having regular dental check-ups
Remember: Preventive care is always the best option, so seek early detection and treatment to fight oral diseases and associated general health conditions.